Saturday, August 13, 2016

Day 34: On the Radio

June 9

I can now admit that when I see Reggie Pearsol's name on my phone I usually let it go to voice mail.  Some of you know that Reggie is the music teacher at Manitou Park Elementary.  He also organizes their musicals and spring performances.  He is a master at gathering volunteers and these wonderful events would not be possible with them.  A couple of years ago I was caught in his volunteer net when he needed some people to help with the Spring play "On the Radio."  I had a bit part as an Elvis impersonator, but when another teacher was unable to perform I was upgraded to the role of radio DJ Marvelous Mike.  The play went really well and ended up being a lot of fun.  It went so well, in fact, that Mr. Pearsol decided to bring it back this year which is why he was once again calling me.

I tried my best to get out of the play offering multiple excuses.  
"I'm not sure I'll have the time."  
"I'll be on sabbatical then."  
"Wouldn't you like to get others involved?"  

He countered every defense I gave.
"It won't take too much time."
"We'll work around your schedule."
"There will be plenty of chances for others to be involved." 

  Okay, I conceded, but this time I prefer to direct the actors instead of performing if that was okay.  Sure, he said, we can do that.  Ten practices and a dress rehearsal later and we were finally at performance night.  You can see some pictures and a video below from how that went.  


"On the Radio" performed at Mt. Tahoma by 2nd & 3rders from Manitou Park Elementary

Joseph was one of my actors.
He played a son who just wanted to listen to the Beatles.





Sorry for the poor video quality and being 90 degrees off

No comments:

Post a Comment