Friday, May 13, 2016

Sabbatical Sunday: A question answered

I confess that I don't always believe what I say.  Not that I preach things with which I disagree, more that I sometimes say things that I'm not quite sure I fully buy.  I say them perhaps hoping saying them will help me more deeply believe them.  That being said, on May 8 (my last Sunday before sabbatical) I read John 13.  Much of the sermon focused on Jesus act of washing the disciples feet.  In so doing I was inviting the congregation to offer hospitality to one another in a similar fashion.  What I didn't expect was the impact the first verse would have upon me.  "Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father.  Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. "  

Thirteen years  ago I sat across from a committee assigned to assess my fitness to become the Pastor of Manitou.  "What frightens you about this call?"  they asked.  The exact words are lost to time, but my response was something like, "I know I want to lead this congregation." (Pause)  "What I don't know yet is if I will love them."  31 baptisms, 52 funerals, 130 session meetings, 650 worship services and thirteen years later I had one moment. 

After singing "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" Nyk began to lead the congregation in the call to worship.  Instead of joining in I stopped and looked out across the sanctuary.  Hair  blond, black and gray; skin smooth and wrinkled; bodies limber, robust and bent were before me.  I saw them flawed and beautiful, wounded and wonderful, sacred and profane, crotchety and kind; children, addicts and  disabled all of us.  In that moment I saw them and oh what a gift.  After thirteen years the answer had arrived.  Like Jesus I  "loved my own who were in this world."  

Thank you, 
beloved Manitou, 
for the gift of this sabbatical.
Amen, 
Let it begin.




No comments:

Post a Comment