Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lent 3: Servant Song for the Weary


(Preached on March 11, 2012)
            Welcome to the 3rd Sunday in Lent.  We are exploring the songs that Jesus read in Isaiah.  In the first song we heard the servant receive the challenge to bring justice to the ends of the earth and the shocking revelation that he would do this by paying attention to the ‘bruised reeds’ and ‘smoldering wicks.’  In the second song, we heard the servant receive the challenge of reflecting God’s glory and bringing salvation to the ends of the earth and that he would do this as a ‘sharpened sword’ and ‘polished arrow.’  This morning we come to the 3rd song in which things take a little turn toward the violent.  How is God calling the servant in this song?  What is the servant’s task and how might this passage have influenced Jesus?  How will we let this passage influence us?  Listen now for the word of the Lord.

Isaiah 50:4-9
 4 The Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. 5 The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears, and I have not been rebellious; I have not drawn back. 6 I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. 7 Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame. 8 He who vindicates me is near. Who then will bring charges against me? Let us face each other! Who is my accuser? Let him confront me! 9 It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me. Who is he that will condemn me? They will all wear out like a garment; the moths will eat them up.
The way in…
            “The sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary.  Do you know anyone who is weary?  Do you know anyone who is tired?  Do you know a child who is weary of going to school because they struggle so much to ‘get it’ or they struggle so much to make friends?  Do you know any parents who are weary?  Perhaps they work long hours, they try to get their kids to school, try to get them in sports, try to fix good meals day after day and they regularly feel weary.  Do you know any folks who are weary with age, their bones ache, their eyes grow tired quickly and what used to be a simple walk now wears them out?  Do you know anyone who is weary?  Yes, we know weary people, but what do we read here in this opening verse?  We read that there is a word to sustain the weary; a word to sustain the weary.   Wouldn’t we love to know that word?  
            I spoke with a weary person on Friday.  She is elderly.  She is mostly alone.  She feels abandoned by some of her children and her health is failing.  I had some words for her, they seemed to help a little, yet as will always be the case in this human condition, none of my words magically changed her situation.  If there was word that I could have spoken to sustain her, I would like to know it.

Jesus and the weary
            Jesus lived among a weary people.  He lived among a people who’d been promised a land flowing with milk and honey, yet after 800 years in that land it had more often flowed with swords and shields.  For four times as long as this country has been one, they had been occupied by a foreign power and no doubt they were weary of this.  They were also weary of the poverty, weary of the struggle to pay their taxes, weary of the burdens placed upon them that bore little fruit.  No doubt Jesus looked around and saw a weary people.  What joy he must have felt when he read that the servant, who by now he would likely have understood to be him, would know the word that sustains the weary.  What was this word and where would he get it?
            “He wakens me morning by morning…”  Morning by morning?  Why would he need to get awakened each morning if this was just a word?  Couldn’t the Sovereign LORD just whisper the word to him and be done with it?  What was so difficult about this word that it needed to be taught morning after morning after morning? 
            If given the chance our kids would spend half their day on the computer.  There is no shortage of kids websites and videos that could occupy their time.  For this reason and others we limit their time on-line.  In a way this makes them want to get on the computer even more.  To control this, we put a password on the computer and they have tried everything to figure it out.  They started by just asking what it was, casually as if we’d just forgotten to tell them.  “Oh, hey, mom and dad, what is that password to the computer, I forgot…”  When this didn’t work they moved into detective mode and began to try and guess it.  I heard Will telling Janie that they’d just start going through all the words they knew until they found it.  I don’t think they’ve gotten out of the A’s yet.  Next, they moved into deceit.  I found a note card next to the computer which read, “Ken, I’ve forgotten the password to the computer.  Just write it on the back of this card and leave it on the desk.  Love, Erin.”  I wrote, “NiceTry” and flipped it over.  Who knows what tactic will come next.  But what is evident is that my kids desperately want to know that word that unlocks the internet.  Its just one word, perhaps with a capital letter or number to make it more secure, but a word nonetheless.  If they only knew it… the world would be opened to them… If only we knew that word.    
            Sometimes we treat the search for ‘the word that sustains the weary’ like this don’t we?  And there are no shortage of voices out there trying to tell us that they know what it is.  Do you remember the ad where the mother is in the kitchen, dishes piled a mile high, laundry overflowing and her three kids are fighting and spilling their dinner.  She looks at the camera and says the magic word, “Calgone, take me away.”  More recently there are the ads that show the office worker falling asleep at his desk in the afternoon when the voice comes on and says, “Tired in the late afternoon?  Try 5 hour energy.”  The world of marketing knows we live in world of weary people and they will try to convince you that they know the word that will sustain you; it comes in a bath, a pill, a bottle, a car or a vacation.  Just buy us it says and you’ll no longer be weary.  And they are right, it works, for a little while until the bath is over, the caffeine wears off or the new car smell is gone.  And then you’re back where you started, weary.  

            Maybe this word that sustains the weary is more than a password or pill or magical incantation.  “He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.”  For some reason this word takes time to teach.  It sounds more like a language than a word.  It is as if the servant gets up every morning to learn this new language.  The servant says he has, ‘…opened my ears and I have not been rebellious, I have not drawn back.’  Curious.  Why would the servant be rebellious?  Why would the servant draw back?  Schools cool right?  Learning is fun.  Well, it isn’t always fun, in fact, it is often very painful.  Now, I learned German in college and it was painful to learn, but not nearly as painful as this word was for the servant.

Tragic turn
            “I have offered my back to those who beat me, my cheek to those who pulled out my beard, I have not turned my face from mocking and spitting…”  Back beaten?  Beard pulled?  Face mocked and spit upon?  What kind of school is this?  Is this some fraternity initiation?  Is this some military boot camp?  What is the Sovereign Lord doing here? 
            Perhaps this training was not a part of the class and instead was a part of the reality the servant faced.  In Matthew 23 Jesus looks at the holy city and says, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you…”  In his confrontation of the Pharisees Jesus reminded them that ‘God sent prophets and apostles, some of them you will kill and others you will persecute.’  (Luke 11:49)  Ug, who knew giving a word to the weary could be so dangerous.  What must Jesus have thought when he read this?  How could anyone endure such abuse?  Why would anyone be willing to accept it? 

How can he endure?
            “Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced…”  Have you ever been beaten?  To have ones beard pulled out was not only painful but humiliating.  And even more than that, to be spit upon was and remains a sign of ultimate humiliation.  How could someone endure these things?   Everyone else may be against him, but as long as the servant knew one person was on his side, he could endure.  In fact, he would not just endure, he would thrive.  “I have set my face like flint and I know I will not be put to shame.”   Flint is the hardest of rocks.  For one to set his face like this was to be resolute, determined and unwavering.  Flint is the opposite of weary.  Flint is determined.  Flint is steady.  Flint is unwavering.  Flint is not the word that sustains the weary, it is the appearance of one who is no longer weary.  Have you ever seen someone set their face like flint?  I think of Michael Jordan when his team is down by 10 in the fourth quarter and his face changes to say, “we will NOT lose.” 

A face like flint
            In the passage Cami read what happened?  “Listen carefully,’ Jesus tells his disciples.  Is he about to give them the word?  The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men.”  What the disciples must have thought, this doesn’t sound like a word that sustains the weary.  This sounds like suffering.  And they did not understand.  This showed in their argument about who was the greatest.  This showed in their response to the Samaritan opposition.  When the village rejected them, they asked to call down fire upon it.  And then we read in the 51st verse, “As the time approached for him to be taken up into heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.”  I’m not a fan of this translation.  In the NRSV it reads, “he set his face to go to Jerusalem.”  The same word used here is the one used in Isaiah.  Jesus set his face.  He was now like flint, determined, unwavering, set. 

Examples of faces like flint (Nashville soda shop)
            There are weary individuals and there are weary people.  The Jews were a weary people, the Samaritans, Native Americans are weary people and our African-American brothers and sisters have been a weary people.  But they heard the word that sustains the weary and many of them set their faces like flint.  Watch and listen for echos of the suffering servant.

34:30 – 38:00 [We watched a clip from the documentary A Force More Powerful which revealed how students in Nashville led by Rev. James Lawson integrated downtown lunch counters despite and perhaps because they set their faces like flint in the midst of mocking and beating]
           
            “I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard, I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.”  Few places offer a more clear imitation of the ethic of Jesus and the suffering servant as the civil rights response to violence.  How?  How could they endure?  “Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced, I have set my face like flint and I will not be put to shame.” 

Word is a way, a community and a person
            The word that sustains the weary is not just a word.  What we witness in the gospels as well as the Civil Rights movement is that the word is a way.  These folks were taught a way to respond to violence, not with more violence but with love.  They learned this way, day by day, morning by morning.  Not only was the word a way, it was also a community.  When one was arrested, another filled their spot.  They endured because the person next to them endured.  United they stood, divided they would fall.  The word was a way, the word was a community but underneath and behind all of this was a part this video only alludes to.  This way was taught and this community formed in the basement of a little Methodist church in Nashville.  It was taught in a place by people who knew that the Word was also a person.  “Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced, I have set my face like flint…”

The way out…
Brothers and sisters, the word that sustains the weary is not just a word, it is not even just a book of words, it is not just a name.  It is a person.  Will you allow this person to waken you morning by morning?  Will you open you listen like one being taught?  Will you open your ears?  Will we trust the Word so much that we are even willing to endure suffering?  Because the Sovereign Lord helps us we will not be put to shame…may our faces become like flint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment